What kinds of items are appropriate to post as News/Events on this site?
To begin with, this is a microscopy site. News/Events should be microscopy oriented and of interest to a reasonably broad segment of the campus community.
Things we'd love to see as Events:
- Workshops - particularly those done by microscopy facilities with the aim of educating users.
- Class announcements - microscopy-oriented UA courses that might be of interest.
- Presentations/seminars - again we are interested in those with a microscopy emphasis (new technique, novel instrument, educational, etc).
- On-site equipment demonstrations - Occasionally vendors will go to the trouble of bringing a piece of equipment to campus. If users can bring samples, or watch the instrument being used, this sounds good to us.
- Announcements - When you need to tell the campus that your facility just got a brand new instrument or a new Director/Manager.
- Professional meetings in AZ - National , regional, or local societies meeting in the state of AZ that will have microscopy-oriented subject matter.
- Open houses - to let people know about an opportunity to see your facility and meet the staff.
We are also open to NEWS announcements regarding regional or national courses, workshops, image contests, and selected professional meetings (with a preference towards those that have a microscopy or core facility management related educational component).
What about commercial or vendor announcements?
This is a delicate balance. The role of this site is to inform the campus. We want to avoid the appearance of selling a product.
Vendor training workshops, presentations that are educational (and not overly product specific), as well as on-site equipment demonstrations seem like appropriate items for News/Events. Multi-vendor product shows are nice, but they are not appropriate for this site. If possible, we would appreciate any "marketing speak" to be dialed down to a low level.
The steering committee reserves the right to review and possibly edit vendor-related announcements. We would also like to see a University of Arizona related sponsor of these types of News/Events, such as a microscopy facility, department, college, faculty member, etc.
Vendor related events may have the following disclaimer added to the end (Note: This announcement was deemed of general interest to the UA community by the Microscopy Alliance steering committee. Its presence on this website does not constitute a specific endorsement of VENDOR NAME or its products.)