- John H.L. Watson's recollections - Very early transmission electron microscopy in the department of physics, University of Toronto. The author's personal recollections of that time.
- Early History and Development of the Scanning Electron Microscope - Author: Bernie C Breton CUED, Cambridge University, Engineering Department, Scientific Imaging Group. See also an article on Charles Oatley, "Pioneer of scanning electron microscopy" on the same server (author: KCA Smith).
- 3 Million Volt Electron Microscope - This impressive feat of engineering was built in the mid-1990s at Osaka University, Japan. Other large electron microscopes can be seen at the National Center for Electron Microscopy (University of California - Berkeley)
- Glossary of Electron Microscopy Terms - From the University of Nebraska (Lincoln).
- TEM Basics and SEM basics - An online tutorials from the University of Liverpool, UK. The full list of tutorials (crystalography and EM) can be found here: http://www.materials.ac.uk/elearning/matter/
Resources from EM vendors
- AM & P Imaging Guidelines for SEM (JEOL USA)
- SEM A To Z (JEOL USA)
- Preparation of Biological Specimens for Electron Microscopy (JEOL USA)
- Introduction to Electron Microscopy - PDF (FEI)
Other Scanning Electron microscopy information
- Scanning Electron Microscope tutorial (Michigan State University)
- ESEM & Poor Vacuum Scanning Electron Microscope Users Resource Page - This web site brings together resources for users of Environmental/Poor Vacuum/Lousy Vacuum/Nature type SEMs.
- Electron Probe technique & Instrumentation - A brief introduction to the analysis of x-rays with an SEM (University of Oregon)
Electron Microscopy Technique (biological)
EM preparatory technique web sites
- Methods (Harvard Medical School)
- Techniques in Biological Electron Microscopy (University of Delaware, lecture notes from Dr. Roger C. Wagner)
Immuno-EM, Gold & Silver enhancement
- Applications tips for Nano-gold (Nanoprobes)
Diamond Knife Handling
- See the DDK web site (PDF) or the EMS Diatome site for tips on using these expensive and fragile tools.
Other Vendor's technical information
- Electron Microscopy Science - listing of Technical Data Sheets and Technical Tips & Recommendations
- Laboratory Resource (ProSciTech) - listing of EM and histology protocols
Search the MSA listserv archives - The Microscopy Society of America's email discussion group now has a searchable archive. Use it to find out if your question has already been answered.
Guide to Microscopy and Microanalysis on the Internet - This very extensive site from MicroWorld Resources is (in their own words): "An annotated listing of the best WWW sites."
WWW-Virtual Library in Microscopy - An exhaustive resource that covers all types of microscopy. (University of Oklahoma)
Petr's Microscopy Resources (Institute of Scientific Instruments ASCR, Brno)
Reviewed & updated 05/23/2017. Creation of this web page was originally supported as part of the Southwest Environmental Health Sciences Center at the University of Arizona, NIEHS P30 ES006694.