- Histotechnology Tutorials
- If you are unfamiliar with the practice of histotechnology, this is an excellent place to start. This series of pages includes a tutorial on general Histotechnique (fixation, tissue processing, sectioning, general staining and slide making information), Special Stains (listed by what types of molecules/tissues that they stain) and examples from their Procedure manuals (note: you will need the free Adobe Acrobat reader to view the procedure manuals). (WebPath, University of Utah, College of Medicine)
- Histopathology Laboratory Protocols
- This site has a wealth of technical information about histologic technique.(The University of Nottingham and the Queens Medical Centre, United Kingdom).
- Histologic Special Stains Using a Microwave
- An outline of the use of microwaves in histologic special stains (Joyce Moore, Jefferson Regional Medical Center Histo-Path Laboratories).
- Protocols On-Line - Immunology>Histological Techniques
- StainsFile: A Resource for Histotechnologists
- This site, developed by Bryan D. Llewellyn, is primarily about histologic staining techniques and dyes.
- Tissue Preparation for Histology:
- The pages Formaldehyde Fixatives and Bouins Fixatives were developed for this site in response to some local concerns.
- One resource is IHC World's Knowledge Center. Another is the NIEHS Laboratory of Experimental Pathology's collection of Immunohistochemistry protocols.
- Journal of Histochemistry & Cytochemistry
- "The official Journal of the Histochemical Society, publishes papers that report the development of new histochemical and cytochemical methods, significant modifications of existing techniques, or original research in which histochemical and cytochemical methods make a significant contribution." Many excellent full-text articles are available on-line.
- Fluorescence Techniques
- A web resource from this site with information about fluorescent dyes, antibodies and sample preparation.
- HistoNet listserver
- Scroll down this page to read the description of this email discussion forum for histotechnique (MicroWorld Resources). Visit this site to search the Archives of the HistoNet Listserver.
- Anatomy & Histology Center - Martindale's Health Science Guide
- A collaborative effort of Jim Martindale and the University of California, Irvine (among others). This is an incredible compilation of links to histology & anatomy resources, as well as other biological links and some terrific general science reference material links.
- The Internet Pathology Laboratory for Medical Education (University of Utah, College of Medicine)
- LUMEN: Histology Index
- This site is part of the Loyola University Medical Education Network (LUMEN).
- University of Delaware - Mammalian Histology course
- Includes images from histologic sections, electron microscopy, diagrams and 3D models.
- Other Good General Histology Sites with Images:
- University of Michigan - Histology course
University of Western Australia - Histology & Human Anatomy
University of Illinois - Internet Atlas of Histology
Microanatomy Web Atlas (Gwen Childs)
University of Pennsylvania - Veterinary Histology
- Good sites for Images of specific tissues:
- "The Whole Brain Atlas" - Harvard University
- Repetitive Strain Disorders
- Some general background information on this problem (PDF - Leica Microsystems).
- The Vermont SIRI MSDS archive
- If you can't locate the Material Safety Data Sheet that came with a particular product, this is a good place to start. Another resource can be found at MSDSsearch.com.
- Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA, USA):
- Laboratory Safety, Bloodborne Pathogens, Ionizing Radiation, Ergonomics
Reviewed & updated 07/17/2017. Creation of this web page was originally supported as part of the Southwest Environmental Health Sciences Center at the University of Arizona, NIEHS P30 ES006694.